Friday, June 17, 2011

Stitching a Khadi Cloth Travellers' Blanket

I finally finished all my paperwork  for taxes which should have been done months ago but got interrupted by various things. I hate doing the paperwork for my business, but once I start it is never as bad as I imagined it would be so I don't know why I put it off like I do. Anyway as a reward I have started stitching another travellers' blanket but this time with circular motifs and on hand dyed khadi cloth, with bumff as batting and khadi backing cloth. At the moment I am decorating the tie dyes of the piece I dyed but on the pieces where there is no tie dye I will work in some of Fiona Wright's sari silks ( from our Pukka Place)

I have also been inspired by the work of  my students at the Travellers' Blanket workshop I have been teaching at Jiddi's Patch here in Geelong. We dyed the fabrics first and then created the  quilt sandwich ( hand dyed muslin and bumff) and then started attaching the squares and stitching in embroidery detail. I could not believe how much work they had done whilst i was overseas and was gobsmacked at some of the wonderful embroidery they had done ( unfortunately the battery of my camera was flat so i can't share some of the wonderful things they had done). There is so much interest in this class that we are starting another class on  Saturday 13 August.I will also  teach the travellers blanket as an on-line course  and will start it at the same date as the real travellers blanket- that is 13 August 2011. The cost for the course will be $50 Aus and will go over a four month period, I will set up a group so we can share our work and discuss- I will also share details of the dyeing process for the blanket and of the stitching of my travellers blanket and any other inspirations and of course stories!. If you are interested please email me. I can be paid via Paypal but please email me first so i can send you an invoice.


I must admit I am in love with colonial knots- I love the texture of them under your hand and I like the way they sit on the surface of the cloth and yet are still soft.



13 comments:

Carola said...

I love the stitching you show here. Are you perhaps also giving an online class "just" for stitching?

Penny said...

would love to join in an online class, payment will have to wait until the end of July though as I will be away. Love the whole idea.
Have followed your blog for ages and love seeing what you are doing and where you have been .

Unknown said...

Count me in Dijanne!

Hugz

Sally

Jenny Woolf said...

I have never even heard of travellers blankets before but your pictures are beautiful. I like the three dimensional effect of the stars and love the idea of using various different techniques. I'll look into the whole thing more.

Claire said...

You have an informative blog. I’ve learned something from it. I do have mine too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... Thanks

Dawn of LaTouchables said...

I'm happy to have discovered this blogsite. It's a real inspiration to see this kind of work being done somewhere in the world.

web hosting server said...

I love the stitching you have shown here. Its wonderful being a part of reading your blogs everyday !! webhosting

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Oh gosh, this is so beautiful and inspiring! Even the word verification is unique (robahneo) LOL

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Through your article I have learned something to do for me especially for my free time. Beautiful and creative design shared and made by you. Thanks a lot.
Web hosting

sakshi said...

Great post that you have shared here. I appreciate your writing skills and all the knowledge that you have shared here.!!
best advertising agency in gurgaon

Unknown said...

great stuff man.
Best Advertising Agency in Gurgaon

Zenyataa said...

I acknowledge to examine this blog. Each and every day your blog having some splendid subject.
Zenyataa shoes